October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month. Did you know that animal shelters and rescue groups are a great resource for a new pet? If you are planning on adding a furry friend to your household, here are some great reasons to consider adopting a shelter or rescue dog.
- According to the Humane Society of the United States, 6-8 million pets end up in shelters each year, and approximately half of those will be euthanized because they are not adopted.
- Looking for a purebred? 25% of the pets in shelters are purebreds. You can also search for breed-specific rescue groups who have plenty of pups looking for a new home.
- Everyone likes a bargain! Adopting may save you money. Keep in mind that some adoptions fees include things such as vaccinations, spay/neuter charges, microchipping, and other extras.
- Many shelters and rescue groups will conduct behavior analysis tests to help match your family with the pet that will be the best fit.
- Several dogs end up at the shelter through no fault of their own and are already trained and family-friendly. Some of the top reasons owners relinquish their pets are because they are moving or their landlord will not allow pets.
Give some thought to offering a shelter pet a place in your heart and home. When you are ready to adopt, visit one of these Columbus-area institutions: